“I need you to fix my page. It’s not converting,” says Joe Client (not his real name), sending me to a URL page he wants redone.
But when I talk to JC, he tells me he’s not yet sold anything. He also hasn’t talked to his potential customers and doesn’t know if the service is even something they want.
He believes it’s what they want. But he’s just guessing.
I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: If you sell anything, your copy is your 24/7 salesperson. With one huge caveat……The most magical sequence of words won’t make up for a confusing offer, one readers don’t want, or any number of issues between reading your words and taking action. Copy is ONE piece of that sales funnel.
Contrary to what some people believe, good copy is not conversion duct tape.
The best copy in the world can’t fix a broken offer.
It’s like pouring catsup on an overcooked burger… or
applying a Band-Aid on a broken leg… or
swirling whipped cream on a spoiled piece of cake.
You get the idea.
The underlying problem remains.
On the other hand…
If your service or product genuinely helps people become a better version of themselves – and the only thing standing between Your Awesome Thing and them taking action – is your copy… you can change that.
It may be a simple fix, like a different call-to-action:
- Do people know what to expect when they click? If they’re unsure they won’t take action.
- Is it too early for this CTA? Asking too much too soon guarantees they’ll bounce and not come back.
- Does the button copy make sense? Do they want to “sign up,” or is “join” or “click for details” more accurate?
Possibly a new heading or subheading:
- Is it clear? Does the wording address the topic they expect when they land on your page?
- Could it be more specific to your audience? Are you writing to a particular group – or casting too wide a net, hoping to get everyone?
- Does each subheading / crosshead introduce what follows? Make sure each sentence makes them want to keep reading.
Or it may take more than that.
If you feel your copy is the main issue in converting readers to buyers or action-takers, I have a totally FREE offer that may help you.
√ No risk.
√ No strings attached.
√ No double-talk, pyramid scheme, or any other less-than-ethical “gotcha!”
It’s simply a way for me to get the word out about my services.
Here’s the deal:
- Send me your URL (Linda@TheCopyWorx.com) of a page that needs some TLC. (Use the subject line: 3 for free)
- Tell me your main goal (sales, sign-ups, etc.)
- And I will review it and send you 3 tips to help your conversions.
That’s totally IT. No sign-ups, no PayPal – nothing but better results.
All I ask is if you like my advice, please tell other people.
My business is in a growth phase and I’m looking to get in front of more people.
It’s as simple as that.
So it will not only help you AND me, but it’s good karma.
Other posts you may find helpful: